Canine Holiday Hazards with Schnitzel the worrisome Dachshund

Oh Christmas is coming, and it can be such a scary time of year for dogs. Did you know about all the different hazards out there right now? There are so many things we can get into such as:

Alcoholic Beverages: Alcohol is around during the holiday season and can be easily accessible to dogs; we tend to just follow our noses! The effects of alcohol in pets are similar to those in humans – it causes depression of our central nervous system which causes us to become drowsy, and lose coordination.  I hate that!  If we are exposed to a larger amount of alcohol, it can cause a greater depression of the nervous system, potentially causing slowed breathing and heart rate, as well as a drop in body temperature. Even if a dog doesn’t die from the acute effects of alcohol, it can cause problems in the kidney and liver.

Source: http://www.natural-wonder-pets.com/how-harmful-is-alcohol-to-dogs-and-cats.html

Human food: There are a lot of different kinds of food that humans can eat but we can’t – even some really yummy things! All of these types of food smell delicious to us, and sometimes our humans don’t know that they are toxic for us.  Garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia in pets, and which is a very severe issue. Grapes and raisins can cause G.I upset, all the way up to kidney failure – I love grapes but they are not safe for dogs at all!  Chocolate is of course toxic as we learned before from our friend Indiana Bones. And did you know that avocado can cause G.I upset?  Who knew?

Christmas Trees and decorations: These can be dangerous because of the low hanging ornaments, and strings of lights.  As much as I like to play with some of those decorations, our humans should always try to hang the ornaments out of our reach and to cover the wires wherever possible. Also real trees require tree food, or preservatives (which are often added to the water) – they can cause G.I upset if we have a little drink from that tree holder-water bowl. Garland and potpourris can be dangerous as well. Garland can get caught up in the intestines if ingested, or potentially be a choking hazard, and potpourris can be an irritant if we eat it… it smells so good…

Antifreeze: Antifreeze is dangerous if ingested, and only a small amount can be lethal to a small animal. Spills should always be cleaned up immediately, and if your human even suspects exposure they should take you in right away. The ingredient in antifreeze that makes it so dangerous is ethylene glycol, and it can cause some very serious damage to the central nervous system, as well as damage to the kidneys and liver. Yikes!

So there you have it, a list of some very serious hazards that your human may have around the home. If your human has any questions, they should always seek the advice of their PetFocus Veterinarian. I hope all of you stay safe during the holidays!

Sources: http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

Tinsel Trouble

Kit: Hey Catrina! Have your humans started putting up all the Christmas decorations!? I love that giant tree to climb with all those shiny things, and the cozy stockings to sleep in. Not to mention the warm fireplace to sleep in front of, the cookie house to chew on, all the food I can steal and I always get gifts from my humans because I’m always a purrfect cat! Oh! It’s just my favorite holiday of the year! You know, the best part is once the humans open up all their presents, we get to play in those boxes and with all those ribbons, and all that tinsel, it’s absolutely amazing. Don’t you agree, Catrina?

 Catrina: Well, I agree for the most part, but my family doesn’t have tinsel anymore, not since last year. I was pretty confused because they put it all over the tree, and it was just the most beautiful toy I had ever seen. It would shine in the glow of that tree, and I was certain that it was my Christmas gift, they just gave it to me early. So, I ate a few pieces and I was pretty proud of myself because my humans never even noticed! But the next day, I started to feel sick.  I was vomiting, I completely lost my appetite, my stomach was hurting, and I began to excessively drool. I knew it couldn’t be the wonderful tinsel that I had eaten the day before because that stuff was magical, and Christmas magic doesn’t do that to cats! My humans were concerned and rushed me into the PetFocus location at Petworks. Dr. Swinemar explained to my humans that I had a “foreign body” and that the only way to fix it was to surgically remove it. Yikes! I thought it would be the worst Christmas after that, but it actually turned out better than expected.  I wasn’t allowed to move around very much because of my stitches, but my humans doted on me more than usual, and I got all sorts of fun toys in my stocking. The only downside was they took down all my beautiful tinsel toys; they didn’t even leave me one. 

 Kit: Wow, that’s awful. I didn’t realize that tinsel was so dangerous. I had heard about Cat Albert eating all those Poinsettias – you know that crazy Maine Coon, he’ll eat anything. He was feeling pretty sick that evening and he had to find out the hard way that Poinsettias, although they are not deadly, they are toxic, and will cause gastrointestinal upset. My humans always talk to their PetFocus Veterinarian if they are unsure about what they are bringing into my home, and I’m glad because sometimes I just can’t help myself if they have flowers on the table.